March 16, 2013

Sweet Buttercream Frosting


I am a sucker for frosting! For it to be worth the calories to me, it has to be that super sweet sugary frosting you get at the bakery that you could easily eat with a spoon! On my quest to find how to make it myself, I have made several frostings that I just could not stomach. I know buttercream is made with butter and a lot of people love the taste of real buttercream, but I don't want to feel like I am eating a stick of butter when I am having a cupcake or cake. While this frosting wasn't the same as a bakery buttercream, it was as close as I have found, and to be honest I thought it was pretty darn good!

Here is what you will need:


Mix butter and shortening in a mixer until it becomes almost white in color. See picture below for reference.


Next add powdered sugar slowly. Once you add about five cups add your vanilla and milk. Mix for several minutes. Do a taste test and see if the frosting is sweet enough for you. If it is then you are done! If its not, keep adding 1/2 cup of sugar at a time to taste. I like my frosting super sweet so I ended up adding 6 cups, but some people like more! You should get a nice fluffy consistency. If your frosting is not fluffy enough, keep mixing it on medium high speed until it is.

Yum!


Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
5-8 cups powdered sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup half and half

Summary:
Mix butter and shortening until it is almost white in color. Add your powdered sugar until it is mixed in. Then add in vanilla and milk. Mix on medium high until you reach the consistency you want. If it is too thin add more sugar, if it is too thick add more milk.

With love!

No comments:

Post a Comment